I originally planned to make Food Network’s Spinach Artichoke Dip Mac N’ Cheese but then I realized I forgot to grab a jar of artichokes when I went grocery shopping. I meant to but by the time I remembered I needed to go back I was already distracted by gardening stuff. It happens, HAH! I know I could still make the spinach mac’n’cheese though and I’ve figured add chicken too as a good source of protein. So, all is well that ends well. I will add the artichoke some other time but this, ah, it’s SCRUMPTIOUS!!!
Talk about another variation of a grown up mac and cheese!
Recipe: Chicken-Spinach Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1 sm onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni
- water for boiling the macaroni
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 1/2 cup of milk
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for sauteing
- Boil water to cook the elbow macaroni al dente.
- In a pan, heat up oil. Saute onions and garlic. Add the cubed chicken to cook. Stir in baby spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook until spinach wilts. Add the cooked macaroni and stir everything together.
- In a pot, melt butter. Whisk in the flour until your form a roux. Add the milk heat up for a half a minute. Stir in about 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese. Whisk gently until everything is incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Pour over the sauce into the chicken-pasta mixture. Stir everything together. Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top. Stick the pan into the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
Make sure to use a pot holder when taking the pan out of the oven. Cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with Italian bread and butter.