The Quesadilla night idea we had last week came after I was writing our dinner’s menu in my kitchen chalkboard. Unless we’re eating either pizza, spaghetti, tacos, or burgers, I always have to make something different for Emma. If this is your first time in this foodblog, my daughter has Autism and she’s a bit of a picky eater. It’s a texture thing. I get to be creative when it comes to her dinner combos. As much as possible there’s always a side of fruit somewhere in her plate so she’s still getting the nourishment she needs.
But I digress. Anyway, I was going to make tilapia fillets that night and cheese quesadilla for Emma then I had an epiphany. Why not just make different quesadilla for the family? I had 1 link of chorizo sausage left from the frittata and there were leftover cheeseburger patties in the fridge. I made 3 different kinds of quesadilla, cheese for Emma, chorizo and leftover burgers for the rest of us. I also made a sour cream-salsa dip to go along with the quesadilla. Wharton’s Quesadilla Night was deliciously successful. I can’t wait to have another one.
- large flour tortillas
- 1 link of chorizo
- leftover cheeseburger patties
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- shredded cheese(use what you like)
- Pam Spray for the pan(or butter)
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- Mix together sour cream and salsa in a bowl. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Brown the chorizo sausage. Drain the grease, transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Break up the leftover cheeseburger patties. Warm it up in the microwave to preheat and make it easier to cook as filling.
- Heat up the pan, coat lightly with Pam star or melted butter. Working with two flour tortillas, fill one side each of chorizo and leftover cheeseburger meat. Sprinkle some of chopped scallions and shredded cheese on top. Fold over the half of the tortilla. Let that cook for a couple of minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla to brown the other side. Repeat with the remaining filling and flour tortillas.
The leftover cheeseburger quesadilla.
The chorizo sausage quesadilla.
Not in the picture is Emma’s cheese quesadilla. She had the all to herself. As much as I love chorizo and the quesadilla were definitely good, the cheeseburger ones were the best. The cheese on top of the meat plus the added shredded cheese just made it even better. If you have any leftovers, make it a Quesadilla Night!