I’ve breaded tilapia fillets with Panko bread crumbs before but that had honey-mustard too which I thought made the breading kinda soggy. But then again, the original recipe that I copied from Rachael Ray actually used pork cutlets so that’s probably a factor too. Anyhooo, here’s my better version of panko breaded pan-fried tilapia fillets which I served over a bed of salad spring mix. It’s quite easy to make and very healthy too.
- 6 pcs of Tilapia fillets, thawed (a bag is $6 at Wal-Mart Supercenter)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of water
- salt & pepper
- half a bag of Panko breadcrumbs (find at Asian stores)
- oil for frying
- Heat up oil in a frying pan.
- In a bowl, beat egg with water. Season with salt and pepper. Put the panko breadcrumbs in a plate. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drench the tilapia fillets, one at a time, into the egg wash bowl then coat each side with panko bread crumbs. Set them aside in a platter. Pan-fry 2 fillets at a time. Cook each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
Arrange a bunch of spring green mix into the plate. Refer to my mini salad bar for an idea. Drizzle your favorite salad dressing over. Carefully place a tilapia fillet on top. For an added twist, fry up an egg then place on top of the fish. Cut the egg in the middle to let the yolk run over the fish and salad. I cooked my egg a little too long, but I’m sure you got the idea.