Here are the crappies that my husband and brother-in-law from one of their fishing trips last month. He came home with these alongside a 5-pound bass which I turned into a sweet and sour dish plus a fish head soup that I’ll post some other time. I didn’t do anything fancy or special with them. My husband gutted and washed them thoroughly that night he brought them home, stored them in the fridge then a couple of days later I scaled, chopped a little bit off of the gills and tails, washed them again, then baked them whole for lunch.
- 2 crappies (gutted, scaled, washed thoroughly)
- 2 tbsp of oil
- sprinkles of salt & black pepper
- sprinkle of chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Cut a couple of slits into the fish. Don’t make ‘em too deep. I remembered to cut the slits after I seasoned. Lightly brush with oil, then sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and chili powder.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. Place the crappies in the sheet pan. Stick it the oven to bake the fish for 25-30 minutes.
I served the baked crappies with cucumber pickled salad and soy with lemon juice dip on the side. I could tell you that crappies are light, a bit bony, but flakier that most fish.