I only found out this week that July is National Blueberry Month. I didn’t know that when I made banana-blueberries bread. I couldn’t possibly let National Blueberry Month go on without making blueberry muffins, no?
I used the recipe from my Reader’s Digest Kitchen Secrets cookbook. It’s called Best Blueberry Muffins and I definitely agree.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup(1/2 stck) butter, melted
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh/solidly frozen blueberries, washed and stemmed
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line muffin/cupcake pans with paper liners or lightly brush the pan with oil. *Pam spray would work too.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, and black pepper until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, egg yolk, and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir in the buttermilk mixture until just combined. Don’t overmix. Fold in the beaten white egg, and blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 th full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out or clean, about 20 minutes. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, loosen the edges then turn out the racks.