Our awesome neighbor Miss Peggy gave us a huge bag of fresh blueberries this weekend so I’ve been going through a list in my head of what I could make with them. Pancakes, muffins, and pie came to mind for sure. If I have an ice cream maker, I’d definitely whip up blueberry ice cream too. But I don’t so I face that reality by popping some fresh blueberries in my mouth and enjoy their natural goodness.
I decided to start with muffins. As I was taking the bag of blueberries out of the freezer, I saw the frozen ripe bananas in another bag. Then one banana started speaking to me. “Hey Miss Dexie, it’s getting crowded in this ziploc bag. You should use 3 of us to go along with those pretty blueberries. I promise you our combination will be delish and it might even make you forget your name“, one banana said. That scene just totally rocked my world so I said sure why not. It isn’t everyday a banana will talk to me to give me an idea what to make instead. When a fruit talks to you, do what it says coz it knows what it’s talking about. Hardy Har har………..
This Banana-Blueberry Bread recipe is from the Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips. I just replaced the chocolate chips with blueberries.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1/2 cup cooking oil or melted butter
- extra melted butter to grease the loaf pan + dust of flour
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and lightly dust with flour the bottom and sides of a loaf pan. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of flour mixture then set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beaten 2 eggs, mashed bananas, sugar, and oil/butter. Fold in the egg mixture into the well of the flour mixture bowl, then fold in the blueberries last. Just gently stir the whole thing until moistened. The batter should be lumpy. Pour it onto the greased loaf pan.
- Bake it in the oven for 45-50. In the last 15 minutes of baking, loosely cover the pan with a foil to avoid over browning the top.
- To make sure it’s done baking, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it comes outs clean then it’s done. Cool the banana bread in pan on top of a wire rack.