These Broiled Teriyaki Pork & Veggies Kebabs is part of my “Budget Cooking: How To Stretch A 6 Pounds Pork Shoulder Into 5 Dishes For Family of 4″ series. This is dish #2. The original plan was to make these kebabs as one of our July 4th grubs but we ended up joining my brother-in-law’s family to be with their friends. My husband still had to work that day so we joined them a little bit later in the day. My point is, cooking the kebabs was just not ideal. I brought the chocolate cake truffle pops at the party instead. Teriyaki Pork & Veggies Kebabs ended up being dinner the following day, the 5th.
Since the meat was part of the 6 pounds pork I cut up for the budget cooking series, I couldn’t tell exactly how many pounds I’ve used in this recipe. To be on the safe side and let’s just assume you’re making this for a bbq party, just go with 2-3 pounds of pork butt cut or the whole 6 pounds pork shoulder for a really huge party, then just double the ingredients for the marinade. The amount I cut up was enough for a family of 4, especially with the veggies. The latter have been doubled up in the recipe as well for easy reference.
|Broiled Teriyaki Pork & Veggies Kebabs|
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup mirin(rice wine)
- 1/2 thumb of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2-3 pounds of pork, cut up in either chunks or cutlets
- 2 peppers
- 2 zucchini
- 1 large onion
- Combine soy sauce, mirin(rice wine), brown sugar, and minced ginger in a large marinating bowl or container. Add the pork and veggies into the marinade. Make sure everything is coated by the marinade by stirring gently. Cover and store in the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Thread the pork and veggies alternately in the skewers. If you’re using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for 25 minutes before threading.
- Save some of the marinade for brushing on the kebabs while broiling or grilling.
- Use a broiler pan to place the kebabs or line a sheet pan with foil. Stick it in the broiler to cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Take ‘em out, brush the kebabs with the remaining marinade then flip them over. Brush that side with the marinade too. Put it back in the broiler to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes.
Add button mushrooms and cherry tomatoes too.