I actually bought the bag of coconut flakes for macaroons after I saw Ina Garten’s recipe on Food Network. I love macaroons and when I first made some years ago, it didn’t look like macaroons at all. That means they were an EPIC Fail. But I learned what I did wrong while watching Ina make her macaroons so I was definitely ready to redeem myself. Too bad that when I started to assemble the stuff in my counter to make them, I realize that I forgot to buy 1 major ingredient. The condense milk. Like Duhhhhh. However, I did not let that deter me from making something sweet that day, heh. If all else fails, MAKE CUPCAKES. If there’s a coconut cake, I’m sure cupcakes with coconut frosting wouldn’t be so bad. And VOILA, behold the chocolate cupcakes with coconut buttercream frosting.
Of course I wanted to make sure that I’m not the only one in this world who’s thought of such combination. I googled for recipes to see what other fabulous food bloggers out there have come up with. I found one at Cupcake Bakeshop. I followed that with a few exceptions. I didn’t add the espresso powder coz I didn’t have any. And I used regular Hershey’s brand for cocoa powder.
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cupcakes
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cocoa powdered
1-1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each addition.
3. Measure the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and espresso powder into a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine.
4. Measure the milk and vanilla into a measuring thing.
5. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
6. Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 3/4’s full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting
1-1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups coconut, sweetened flaked
1. Beat butter briefly, scrape bowl.
2. Add the sifted powdered sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
3. Add coconut and mix until combined.
She garnished her cupcakes with chocolate shavings, I used toasted coconut flakes on mine. Just sprinkle 1/4 cup on a sheet pat and toast in the oven for like 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye out coz they burn really fast.
HI, GORGEOUS!! Pretty and sinful. Certainly not the kind of things you’ll find on a Health Directory. But hey, we only live once, hehe.
The chocolate cupcakes were very light but very chocolate-y. I think I’ll use this recipe for chocolate based cakes more often. Thanks Cupcake Bakeshop.
Don’t worry, I will make Ina Garten’s Macaroon sometime soon. I haven’t given up on that yet .
These chocolate cupcakes with coconut buttercream frosting are for Lasang Pinoy Sundays, theme Coconut. Join us with your coconut recipes too.